We have been getting a lot of rain lately, and I noticed that my wife’s 2010 Volvo C30’s floors were wet. There was no signs of an obvious leak, so I went to Google to see what I could find out, and once again, Google came to the rescue.
It seems that there is a common problem on the Volvos where the Sunroof drain tubes separate behind the A-pillar interior trim, so that is where I focused my attention.
Prior to taking the A-Pillar trim apart, I wanted to get the carpet up, so I could start drying the interior. The front seats and the rear bottom seat came out which gave me access to remove the rear piece of carpet. To my surprise, there was about a 1/2″ of water under the carpet. Once I saw this much water, I decided to pull the front carpets also, and I’m glad I did. The carpet has about an inch of foam padding, and this padding was completely saturated, and I think it will take about a week to dry out the foam.
To expedite the removal of water form the interior, I drill two 1/8″ inch holes in the floor. These holes allowed the water to drain, and they will be very easy to seal once the interior is dry.
Once I got that sorted, I carefully removed the A-pillar trim, and it was obvious that the drain tubes were separated on both sides. The upper tube needed to be lengthened by about an inch to reconnect the upper and lower drain hoses. I cut the upper hose in two about 6″ inches from the end, and went to Lowes to get a piece of hose large enough to fit the Volvo drain hose inside. I found a suitable line, and for $0.45, I had plenty to extend the upper drain lines.
I used about 4″ of the larger hose and slide the two halves of the upper drain line into it, and I did use a little sealant to ensure a water tight connection; then, I slide the upper drain line into the lower drain line. The extended line fit into the lower line by an inch or so. I do not think there is a chance of it separating in the future. The extended drain lines tested good, so I put the trim pieces and seats back into the car.
I thought I would be done, until the carpet drys, but when I started the car, I got a “SRS Urgent” message. Once again, Google came in handy. After reading about the error, my thoughts are that I got the error message due to the seat removal while the battery was still connected which means that the SRS system got a message that the air bags in the seat were disabled. So, the next question is how to reset the error message.
Through Google searches, I found an “advanced” code reader for Volvos which provide the ability to reset SRS codes, so this device is on its way, and I will provide an update once I get a chance to use it.
All in all, fixing the drain tubes was easy, but time consuming due to the seat and carpet removal.